Wednesday, February 13, 2013

IF - Storm 1 and Storm 2

Hello!  Another week of Illustration Friday!  This week the word is Storm.  So Jai had an extra band practice this week (Dayliner is playing two shows in Halifax this weekend) and I had an extra night to myself.  I managed to get one painting done on Saturday:


 Which I liked, but wasn't 100% satisfied with.   I wanted the composition to be a little different - not so spaced out, and I wanted it to be softer somehow.  I drew it out again with the charcoal, and really liked my charcoal drawing.  I wanted to preserve that feeling, and still get paint on it.  So I did some experimenting with watercolours.  First I drew out two characters with the charcoal on some scrap paper.  The first one I did with an acrylic line over the charcoal, and then watercolour over top of that:

It was close, but not quite.  Then I painted the watercolours directly over the charcoal, and was much happier.  Aha!

Now all I needed to do was paint my picture.  And here it is:

You can click on it to make it bigger.  I do like this one - it only took three (four?) tries!

These are really big paintings (the one above is 14" x 22") and I have only a very small scanner, so I needed to scan it in six parts, and then patch it all back together.  There might be a few places where it's  got a funny shadow or something, but mostly it's pretty good.  Next time I will try and remember to keep it a reasonable size, and one that could fit in a standard frame, too!

Which one do you like best?

3 comments:

hedwig said...

Super! I like them both, but the last one is the better one for me. More open, bright and warmer. The little windows are nicely done. The detail works really good in this quiet, peaceful image. Like no tornado is coming! Oh dear.

Jai and Lauren Soloy said...

Thanks Hedwig - that's exactly what I was hoping for!

Cecilia Book Nikolovski said...

I think they are both magical but gives two different feelings. The first one is really spooky. The 2nd there is something going on but not sure yet how bad it will be. I like them both a lot!