Thursday, April 26, 2007

Mrs. Claws Gets a Collar


Emma and I are enjoying sitting in the afternoon sun. I have a yoga class this afternoon so I have been busy getting ready for that. This morning I met with the fellow in charge of getting me onto the Self Employment Program. I really hope it works, it would be so helpful! We sat down and went through the business plan together, question by question. That was a huge help, as a lot of the questions don't pertain to my business as well as they would to someone opening, say, a convenience store, or a balloon factory.
We have been working on cleaning up and organizing the garden some more. We went to the beach yesterday and picked up some driftwood to lay around some of the beds. That was a little backbreaking, because it's not like the beaches in Victoria, where there is driftwood aplenty, and easy access to the beach from the road. BUT, in a couple of days, when our backs stop being sore, it will have been well worth it! Our daffodils are starting to bloom, and I put in our seed order from Vesey's yesterday.
In the shop, I have started a big run of simple cedar boxes, and Jai has been busy turning lots of little tops. They look really great, and it's so much fun to have a bowl of them sitting on the table!

The market is coming up pretty soon, and we have a lot to do to get ready for it. It's all the little things you don't think about that are so much work. On top of having enough stock to sell, we need bags and boxes and business cards and display racks and a shelter in case it rains and money, money, money. Yikes, and everything has to be shipped in, as there is obviously no place in town to get stuff like that, so it all needs to be planned in advance. We're getting there, though. Or, at least, we're making a list.
Yesterday I took time out to make some cookies. I tried for lemon sugar cookies, but the recipe called for lemon extract and we only had lemon juice. Not very lemony, but pretty tasty all the same. They are crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside, which is just delightful. I think it's because of the corn syrup?????
And the other thing that happened yesterday is that Emma got a little red collar. She has been driving us crazy with wanting to go outside. We've been opening the windows, and she just sits in them and meows. So far she's not a big fan of the collar, but there are so many cats in the neighbourhood that if she gets outside, we're not sure we'd be able to recognize her! It has a little bell so we can hear her coming, and I think she looks very pretty!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, what a wonderful day you've had, Lauren, and Emma looks stunning in her new collar! The tops look great and I love the colours! I hope you have lots of bowls of tops for sale in the market! You guys sound like you're getting everything well organized - we're very far away but if we can help in any way let us know! Keep us posted on the self-employment process - I may need you to mentor me one day! talk to you soon XOXO Mom/Joc

Jai and Lauren Soloy said...

Hi Mom! Thanks for the post! Emma does look pretty, but she still hasn't entirely forgiven us yet. I will definitely let you know if I can think of anything you could do to help! Talk to you soon! Love Lauren

Connor F said...

Hey Guys!

I thought I would see if I can help out!

Business cards - go to canbsolutions.com

They are a company based out of Winnipeg who just do business cards on this one type of card stock with this one great type of lamination. I got my business cards done with them and they are killer. The best part is that even though they print in Winnipeg, they do free shipping to most major centers in Canada. Now, I can't imagine that the shipping is going to cost a whole lot for a small town.

The just send them an email attention to Igal Rogalsky (I was referred to him by my web-design company and really enjoyed working with him). All you have to do is do the artwork and he will have you cards in, like, 10 days. You can order free samples so you can get an idea of exactly what they do. It's $137 for 250 cards (and for me, that included shipping).

As you can see, I'm raving about them. Every card I give out people say, "Man, what a nice card!" And that's mainly because of the stock it is printed on.

So, hopefully that helps you out a bit.

Connor F said...

Oh, hey. The name of the lamination you want is called, "Silk". "Crystal" isn't that interesting.

Connor F said...

And congratulations on your first Etsy sale!! That's fantastic! :)

Jai and Lauren Soloy said...

Hey Connor! Thanks for the tip! I'll check them out for sure. I'm getting a price quote from some guys here in the Valley that specialize in printing books, and they have really nice paper, so we'll see what they come up with. It's great to hear from you, I had a dream about you last night - you fell in the water, and a giant octopus attached itself to you. It wasn't funny at the time, but after I woke up, it made me laugh. I could just hear Grandma saying "Oh Connor!"