Friday, February 19, 2010

Oh, February



There comes a time in every winter - usually in February - when I am finished with winter. Enough cold, enough snow, enough loading up with layers and boots and hats and mitts every time we want to step outside.

So then I have to come up with some way to make it ok again. More snow was falling outside, the tulips weren't quite cutting it, I needed some way to make everything feel fresh again. Time to re-arrange the furniture! I don't have before OR after pictures, because unfortunately I made only a small dent in the large mountain of clutter. Nevertheless, the house somehow feels like it got a breath of fresh air. I don't even know if it's better, but it's just different enough. Hopefully it will be enough to carry me through the next couple of months of winter, because if it doesn't, I may need to paint something white. To be fair, I do get sick of summer, too. Right around August, I've had enough of the unrelenting heat already. Really the only season I don't get sick of is fall. I do love those autumn days. Still... would they be so poignant if they weren't a relief after the summer heat, and a respite before the winter cold sets in? Well, no, probably not. And I do love me those toques and scarves. But just right now this winter is feeling awfully long. I may have to do a happy dance when those first snowdrops start to peek through. I may have to go to the beach with my snowsuit on.

No comments: