Saturday, January 12, 2008

New Years News


Hello! I guess it's about time I updated on our news. The sad thing is we don't really have any!
We had a lot of snow over the New Year, which was really fun. We didn't do such a good job on the whole clearing the driveway thing, and there was a couple of times when we almost didn't make it out. That would have been a great excuse to miss work, hey? I'm sure everyone here was a little disappointed, as all the major snows happened before school started or on weekends! Anyway, I totally enjoyed walking around in the snow, where it didn't come up past my boots.




This last week has been very warm, and all that snow has melted completely! We even had a day that hit 15 degrees! It's 8 degrees right now, but next week it's supposed to start cooling off again. I guess it's a good chance to get a fresh start on keeping the driveway clear.

We've pretty much been homebodies the last couple of weeks. I finished making a couple of more books - here's a pic of one of them. They came out nicely, but I had a lot of problems with the tools. It was good because I ended up with a new bandsaw fence, a new resaw blade, a new benchtop jointer, and a fresh set of blades on my planer. Let that teach me for trying to work with arbutus!


Jai has started a new bowl out of some burl that Dereck's parents gave us to play with. I think it will be beautiful when he finishes it. It was a little scary to share the shop with him while he was balancing it, though. The whole floor was shaking, and I kept picturing it flying off and braining me. It's such a small shop, there's no way to get out of the line of fire. I'm still here, though.

Today we have spent most of the day cleaning up the house. We have a reporter from the Annapolis Valley Spectator coming on Wednesday to interview us about Sleeping Forest Studios, so we want it to kind of look like a house someone might actually want to live in, instead of a big storage area and unfinished renovation project. There's not much we can do about the unfinished renovation project part, but we're trying to work on the rest. It's getting there! We got a bit further in the bathroom, and added one of our auction finds to the top of the dresser. It's looking pretty good, I think.


A little organization can go a long way. We were so busy before Christmas that everything just started to pile up.
Right now we've got more work than I really know what to do with. I think we need a chalk board or something in the shop so that we can keep track of what's been ordered, and when it's due. Sometimes it's too overwhelming to keep all that in your head. Probably if it was written down somewhere, with a few items checked off, it wouldn't seem like much at all. Right now, everything is written down, pretty much, but it's all in different places, so I keep coming across something else that I forgot I had to do. The worst part is that I'm in work avoidal mode, and would much rather work on my new marquetry panel.
Anyway, I don't want to sound like I'm complaining - I'm glad to have the work! As Jai says, it's kind of a good problem to have.

So with all that exciting news, I'll sign off for now. I hope this finds all of you well, and enjoying your New Year. I'll try not to leave it so long between posts, next time!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is just beautiful - as are the renovations that are coming along on your home. I love seeing those!

I followed along to your blog from your Etsy store.... what lovely things you have there, particuarly the spinning tops and the meditation bench. Didn't I see sometime back that you had something with a lotus on it? That was beautiful as well.

Anyway, I'm so glad to have found your blog. It is a breath of fresh air. :)

Namaste,

Karen Beth :)

Sherrie said...

I love the bathroom pieces! Looks great!

Anonymous said...

hi! I really like the bathroom piece - Jai, I'm looking forward to seeing the end product from the burl...it looks phenomenal so far! your snow and your frozen river look so beautiful!

I found these words along my travels today and they've been resonating ever since ...'holding in my hands these truths: that love grows from the rich loam of forgiveness; that mongrels make good dogs; that the evidence of God exists in the roundness of things. This much, at least, I've figured out. I know this much is true.' (Wally Lamb)
Love you. XO MomJoc

Sherrie said...

Yes, yes, yes, we would love to do a swap! (Adam was very excited at the prospect, too!) I was thinking that it would be lovely if we could meet in person sometime, too. Are you heading for Yarmouth any time soon?