Monday, June 11, 2007

East Coast Update

Hey! I seem to only be able to find time for writing once a week nowadays! We have had another event-filled week here on the East Coast!

On the work front: Jai and I are now being represented at the Under One Roof gallery in Upper Clements. I have picked up a commission on a book, and probably one on an entertainment unit as well (two different people.) And also it looks like I will be working in another shop one or two days a week. You can check out the types of things they make at: www.cottagewoodworkers.ca
I think it will be really good experience, and also will help to still bring some money in when we are renovating our shop! All the local woodworkers here have been really great and supportive (kind of like Victoria that way!)
The market this week was a little better than last week, but all of the above has been happening because of people seeing us there, so we have definitely benefitted from going. The lady beside us also gave us some great tips on different shows to attend, and on where to buy the best local beef! Now all we need is a deep freeze.
Our garden is coming along really well - so far the only thing that I've killed is my little cucumber seedlings that I was so proud of! I'm going to try again, though, just direct seeding them into the ground. Whatever was eating my lettuce seems to have slowed down on the munching - Jai was out there squishing bugs with his fingers for a while two days ago. Yuck!
I just got confirmation that the loan people will pay for my attendance at the conference (one of the bonuses of the particular loan that I qualified for is that it comes with up to $2000 for training.) So now I am officially registered in the Studio Furniture Conference in Victoria from June 20-23. It will be a whirlwind of a trip, as I have a long list of things that I want to get done while I'm there!
Jai's work with the driving company is finally slowing down this week, so he is getting a little more time in the shop. The little tops that he makes have been our best seller so far at the market - kids come running from all directions. He says he feels like the store that puts the candy machine right at the cash register (aka Yo Video) so parents constantly have to buy them to get their kids to shut up. Whatever works, I say! Spinning tops are fun for the whole family!
I got some work done on the companion panel to the last bird panel. I've decided to put them into the doors of a pair of bedside tables.

And we sold our trusty trailer. We towed it out for the last time to the local auctioneers house, where I'm sure it will be put to good use. They have a gorgeous hobby farm with horses and cattle, and two geese who are best friends with one of the barn cats. They were so cute - they actually took turns grooming one another!

We lost a lot of privacy when we sold the trailer, though, as we have a neighbour across the street and two houses down who sits on his front porch drinking beer with his buddies at all hours of the day and night. Whenever we go out, he shouts at us to come over and have a beer. There's nothing inherently wrong with this, except that we would like to be able to enjoy our yard without having to refuse an invitation to come over, and then being watched. So on the way home from dropping off the trailer, we stopped at Canadian Tire and bought some cedar trees. They help a little already, and one day will give us a lot more privacy!

I bought some more flowers for the yard, too, as we mostly have vegetables and herbs right now. The lupins are coming out all along the highways now - it's so pretty! I got some pics, but I haven't had a chance to download them yet - I'll post them when I do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi! Thanks for the great update! Your cedar trees look really good -Jai your tops are great fun and your paint colours are brilliant! will you be doing soccer team colours for the summer? It sounds like all is going really well. Talk to you soon. XO Mom/Joc